Sunday, February 22, 2015

Day Nine and Ten: Dawson City to the Arctic Circle and Back

Dawson City to the Arctic Circle and Back



The Dempster Hwy! “I have a story” back in ? I think it was 7th Grade so excited to get my year book and get the Girl I was so dreamy about to sign my year book and finally see if she liked me… yea I was shy and not super wise about girls. I opened my year book to find my last Name misspelled Christopher Dempster, well today I get to ride the Dempster Highway…I’m not sure how I feel about this…

This part of the trip has the single purpose of getting to an arbitrary line drawn on the map. The Arctic Circle is the southernmost latitude in the Northern Hemisphere at which the sun can remain continuously above or below the horizon for 24 hour (at the June solstice and December solstice respectively) this year that date is June 20th…..YES!

Unlike tens of thousands of years ago relatively few people live north of the Arctic Circle due to the severe climate, I’m hoping we will have good weather over the next two day



Looking at our map, there does not seem to be a lot out this way, so my adventure is all new in this area, I cant wait.

This section has the longest distance (254 mile section) between gas stops even with the GS I need to carry fuel, I can make a comfortable 250 miles on pavement at sea level with good gas, I could likely stretch this to 254 and not break too much of a sweat in economy conditions, but we are not in economy conditions, if we hit rain I will use more fuel, on Dirt I use more fuel, an extra 2 gallons will keep me happy during this part of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment