Sunday, February 22, 2015

Day Seven: Watson Lake to the City of Whitehorse

Watson Lake to the City of Whitehorse

Today we are out on the Alaska Highway and the feel of a large freeway returns, giving me the feeling of being back in the states (lower 48 of the united states) this means dealing with More RV’s larger trucks and fast moving traffic, I actually get the feeling hear I missed something, lake we passed out of the wilderness, in reality we are now in the Vast Yukon Territory and as far from any large metropolitan area as we have been, looking at the map and wow and I’m reconnected with reality we are in the middle of it now, and though this larger roadway my give one the feeling of security we are in the greater outreaches of the world now, this adventure can go in any direction. It is a good time to reflect and take inventory of my attitude, the hard part is yet to come and our metal may be tested from here on out.
As we move north we slide back in to British Colombia and then back out to the Yokon, then the progression seems to take us steeper north before reaching west then north again, these are large stretches of road but my sense of direction seems tuned in to where we need to go and I feel like Alaska is some ware over these peaks, stopping and looking at the map, Alaska is a long, long way off but at least the direction is right, though we will travel much farther north before reaching out to Alaska it again reminds me we are just getting in to the swing of the trip.
Whitehorse is an interesting place and there is much to see, though on my last trip I saw no more than the camp site I stayed in and the gas station I field up in, (same gas station both direction), I think I was way too focused on the days distance and what was coming next, I must digress a bit,  but this tends to be a common problem with trips like this, we look forward to our next destination and the road we need to travel to get there, as in life we need to keep in mind “the adventure is hear, in the moment we are in, we are living it! When we do get to the next destination that then will be our adventure at that moment”. I am constantly reminded to live in the now.

On my last trip I stayed at the Robert Service Campground, a bit of a hippy commune, and at first the high price and all the people was a bit too much for me to handle at the time, I eventually settled in or accepted it, but I’m just not sure what I should do this trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment